The Safeguarding Children and Young People Portal provides a central pathway to the range of ACU research projects, professional development opportunities, and capacity-building tools that aim to support institutions to better safeguard children and young people from sexual abuse and other forms of harm.
The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse and a series of inquiries have highlighted the reality that children and young people can experience child sexual abuse and other forms of harm in institutions charged with their care.
These inquiries have argued that the protection of children is the responsibility of the whole community, have stressed the value of prevention, and have advocated for organisations to place children’s safety at their core.
We recognise that as a university who prepares professionals to work with children, young people and their families, and an institution committed to promoting the common good, we have an important role in understanding, promoting and supporting child safe practice and policy.
We have established expertise in the area of protecting children, including a dedicated research unit, the ACU Institute of Child Protection Studies (ICPS). ICPS contributed ground-breaking research to the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, examining children and young people’s views and experiences of safety in institutions. We also have an established record in development and delivery of safeguarding programs and courses to support institutions in creating safer cultures for children and young people.
About the portal
ACU has established expertise in the area of protecting children, including a dedicated research unit, the ACU Institute of Child Protection Studies (ICPS). ICPS contributed ground-breaking research to the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, examining children and young people’s views and experiences of safety in institutions. ACU also has an established record in development and delivery of safeguarding programs and courses to support institutions to create safer cultures for children and young people.
The Safeguarding Children and Young People Portal is for organisational leaders, policy makers, practitioners, and professionals who work or volunteer in institutions that support children and young people. It includes a range of relevant research publications and resources, tools, and professional development opportunities to increase institutions’ capacity to protect the children and young people in their care. In 2018, additional features will be introduced, including a community of practice and organisational self-assessment program, to assist organisational leaders to assess the safety climate of their programs and services (fees will apply).
Sign up to the newsletter to be notified as new resources and opportunities are added to the Safeguarding Children and Young People Portal.
- ACU Safeguarding Children Capability Framework: The Capability Framework identifies six core capabilities, which inform all courses, programs, services and information provided by ACU.
- Research and resources: Access a range of research reports and resources, including our research for the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.
- Practice tools: We have developed tools to help organisations implement strategies and specific activities with staff, volunteers, children and young people to identify and address risks, and promote safety in organisations.
- Qualifications and professional learning: We provide a range of formal learning opportunities for new students and professionals seeking to develop specific skills and knowledge related to safeguarding children and young people. Enrolment fees apply.
- Self-assessment: We have developed surveys and other resources that help organisations self-assess their progression supporting conditions of safety in organisations for children and young people. Access to the survey tools and supports will be subject to a fee and a sign-up procedure. The terms and conditions are still in development.
- Researcher profiles: Find out more about the expertise of our staff that relates to the safety and wellbeing of children. You may want to collaborate on research, evaluate your organisation, or connect with experts in related fields.
NOTE: Additional functionality will be added to the Portal that may require user authentication to access, and will be subject to a fee.
This portal is aimed at people working in youth-serving organisations to help them better prevent and respond to harm to children.
If you believe a child or young person is in immediate danger, call police on 000.
For further information on crisis responses and reporting child abuse and neglect, see: the Australian Institute of Family Studies.
Page last updated: 2018-01-02
Short url: https://safeguardingchildren.acu.edu.au/1345695